If you’ve already filed your tax return, but need to make an adjustment, you can file an amended tax return called, Form 1040-X.
Keep the following tips in mind:
- Identify the year of the return you’re amending at the top of the form. Generally, you can only go back 3 years.
- Amended returns can only be filed on paper; it cannot be done electronically.
- If filing more than one return, prepare a separate 1040-X for each return.
- Use separate envelopes for each form and make sure you send it to the correct IRS office, depending on where you live.
- If you are filing for an additional refund, wait until you get your original refund to arrive.
- Don’t amend your return because of math errors, the IRS will check your math and fix it for you.
Download the 1040-X form and find out more at IRS.gov.